I have worked in the sustainable seafood sector since 2003; including roles in UK Government, industry and environmental organisations in the UK and USA.
During this time, I have developed and led advocacy campaigns, advised on national and international fisheries and aquaculture policy, managed seafood rating programmes, guided businesses on seafood sustainability and provided technical input to seafood certification schemes.
In September 2019, I left my previous role as Global Tuna Director at Sustainable Fisheries Partnership (SFP) to set up Tomolamola Consulting Ltd. My aim is to use my knowledge and experience to provide agenda-free advice to seafood businesses, NGOs and even gaming companies!
WHAT WE DO
Tomolamola consulting Ltd. is a dynamic company providing expertise and advice on seafood sustainability.
We help a wide range of clients from the public, private and third sectors to better understand the complexity of seafood sustainability – both wild-caught and farmed, and environmental and social.
Doctorate degree (PhD) in Population Genetics, Marine Biology, and Aquaculture.
Master of Research (MRes) degree in Analytical Biology.
Bachelor of Science with Honors (BSc) in Marine Biology.
BUT WHY TOMOLAMOLA?
The ocean sunfish, or Mola mola is my favourite fish! Finding one washed up on a beach in Gibraltar when I was 6 catalysed my fascination with this wonderful fish and the marine environment.
years of experience
Seafood industry leadership and consulting.
Dr. Tom Pickerell
Tom is a marine biologist with over 15 years’ experience in seafood sustainability; including wild fisheries and shellfish aquaculture, certification schemes and consumer guides and social responsibility in seafood.
Tom has worked in academia, government, industry and the third Sector (NGO) in a varied and interesting career.
He has a reputation for successful development and delivery of innovative projects that raise standards in the seafood sector in the UK and USA including Project:Inshore, the Seafood Watch eco-certification benchmarking project, the Seafish Responsible Fishing Scheme (RFS), the Seafish Risk Assessment for Sourcing Seafood (RASS), the online Seafish Tool for Ethical Seafood Sourcing (TESS), the Global Tuna Alliance (GTA) and the North Atlantic Pelagic Adovacy Group (NAPA).
Varied advisory roles (past and present) include the Advisory Committee on Fisheries & Aquaculture (ACFA), Global Sustainable Seafood Initiative (GSSI), Seafood Task Force Tuna Sub-Group, Global NGO Tuna Forum, Alaska Responsible Fisheries Management (RFM) Technical Advisory Committee, English Seafood Industry Task Force, North Sea Regional Advisory Committee (RAC), European Ocean Acidification Project Reference User Group (RUG), Fisheries Innovation Scotland Technical Advisory Committee and the London Olympic Games Seafood Sourcing Advisory Group.
Tom has completed media training in the UK ad USA, and is a qualified 'Project & Program Manager' (PPM).
Global Tuna AllianceThe Global Tuna Alliance (GTA) is an independent group of retailers and supply-chain companies, working to ensure that tuna ultimately meets the highest standards of environmental performance and social responsibility. Tomolamola Consulting Ltd.’s founder, Tom Pickerell, has been contracted as Executive Director to lead the GTA (80% FTE).
Marine Management OrganisationTomolamola Consulting Ltd. led a consortium to develop a theory of change and action plan for evolving the MMO’s fisheries management function into one that is world leading in its approach.
North Atlantic Pelagic Advocacy GroupOn behalf of the Group, Tomolamola Consulting Ltd. developed a strategy (Phase 1) to achieve an agreement on total allowable catches for North East Atlantic Pelagic fisheries in line with scientific advice, and for a long-term science-based management agreement.
Stakester COD FOR CODTomolamola Consulting Ltd. was hired to provide expert advice on the state of cod stocks in the UK, and to be their spokesmans for the campaign. This includes two live TV interviews (GB News Breakfast and Sky News) and over a dozen radio interviews.
Department of Environment, Food and Rural AffairsDepartment of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs - Senior Scientific Officer
Monterey Bay Aquarium – Seafood WatchMonterey Bay Aquarium, Seafood Watch Program - Senior Science Manager
Seafish – UK Sea Fish Industry AuthoritySeafish (UK Sea Fish Industry Authority) - Technical Director Seafish is a Non-Departmental Public Body (NDPB) established by the 1981 Fisheries Act to support the UK seafood sector.
Shellfish Association of Great BritainShellfish Association of Great Britain - Shellfish Development Manager/Director
Sustainable Fisheries PartnershipThe SFP Mission is to engage and catalyze global seafood supply chains in rebuilding depleted fish stocks and reducing the environmental impacts of fishing and fish farming. As Global Tuna Director I led SFP’s tuna work programs including the canned tuna and the supply chain roundtable that convenes companies that wish to support improvements in the fisheries that produce fresh/frozen Yellowfin and Bigeye tuna.
We provide seafood sustainability support in the following areas:
- Conduct risk assessments on seafood used in supply chains
- Develop seafood sourcing commitments for businesses or review existing commitments
- Provide detailed recommendations for seafood that align with sourcing commitments
- Provide technical advice on seafood sustainability issues to NGOs
- Identify opportunities for businesses to engage with fishery improvement projects (FIPs)
- Demonstrate how to promote efforts to improve the sustainability of seafood
- Develop responses to public criticism or customer concerns
- Credible spokesman to speak on your behalf
Sourcing and Aquaculture
- Institute of Directors ‘Finance for Non-Financial Directors’ (2015)
- Windsor Leadership Trust ‘Developing Strategic Leaders’ (2014)
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Media Training (2012)
- WWF Media Training (2006)
- UK Government Certificate for Programme & Project Management Specialism (2005)
- UK Government Better Policy Making I & II (2004)
- University of Santa Cruz (2012-13) – The Science of Seafood Watch
- California State University Monterey Bay (2011-13) – The Science of Seafood Watch
- University of Swansea (2010) – UK & EU Fisheries Policy
- Natural History Museum (2008-10) – Understanding Seafood Sustainability
- SeaWeb Seafood Champion Award Finalist (2009, 2015)
- Guinness World Record “Largest Prawn Cocktail” (2009)
- Nominee - UK Seafood Awards (2009) "Best Seafood Promotion" for this video.
- WWF Merit Award (2007)